Student Artists and Writers Honored at the 2006 Fair Housing Poster and Essay Contest
Student artists and writers from all over the state submitted entries for the 2006 Fair Housing Poster & Essay Contest. Sponsored by The Department of Commerce (Commerce), the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Wisconsin Fair Housing Network, this year's awards ceremony was held on June 30 in the Governor's Conference Room in the State Capitol.
Getting the Word Out ...
Cody Backhaus, pictured above with Commerce Deputy Secretary Dave Storey (on left),
Jennifer Ortiz, Administrator, Equal Rights Division, Department of Workforce Development and Delbert Reynolds, Director, Milwaukee Field Office of HUD has participated in the Fair Housing Poster & Essay contest in 1995, when he was six years - old. Since then, Cody has received 8 awards for his exceptional art work, and has achieved 1st place five times. Cody participated in his final Poster & Essay contest this year since he graduated from Fond du Lac High School. In the fall, he will be attending ITT Technical College in Green Bay for Digital Entertainment and Animation.
Dan Stotmeister, Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, Milwaukee Field Office and Delbert Reynolds, Director, Milwaukee Field Office of HUD, were on hand to congratulate the winners at the Fair Housing Poster and Essay Contest on June 30 in the Governor's conference room at the State Capitol.
Commerce's Marti Wilson was the event's emcee and the students and parents in attendance were welcomed by Jean Lamers, co-chair, Wisconsin Fair Housing Network. Jim O'Keefe, administrator for the Division of Housing & Community Development and Commerce Deputy Secretary Dave Storey congratulated the winners, and were assisted by representatives from HUD and the Department of Workforce Development in echoing the importance of fair housing in Wisconsin.
Following is the list of winners, each of whom left with a "goody" bag and a cash prize.
2006 Poster Contest Winners
- 1st place - Beth Strand, Eau Claire, St. James
- 2nd place - Anne Marie Di Cristo, West Allis, Longfellow
- 3rd place - Sam Dotterwick, Superior, Great Lakes
- 1st place - Jasmine Wright, Milwaukee, Longfellow Elementary
- 2nd place - Matt Byrne, Eau Claire, St. James
- 3rd place - Molly Bredin & Lizzy Connors, Waukesha, Rose Glen Elementary
- 1st place - Mai Nou Her, Eau Claire, De Longe
- 2nd place - Erika Lee (Eagle) & Lauren Latzel (Waukesha), St. Paul
- 3rd place - Daric Johnson & Tou Lee Lor, Elk Mound, Elk Mound Middle School
- 1st place - Cody Backhaus, Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac High School
- 2nd place - Katelyn Warren, Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac High School
- 3rd place - Justin Lehnert, Milwaukee, James Dottke
2006 Essay Contest Winners
- 1st place - Elena Montanye, Eau Claire, St. James School
- 2nd place - Luke Versweyveld, Delavan, Delevan Christian
- 3rd place - Martha Leplae-Arthur, Glendale, Eastbrook Academy
- 1st place - Rebecca Holzmann, Calvary, Fond du Lac High School
- 2nd place - J.J. Okash, Superior, Superior Middle School
- 3rd place - Erin Blumer & Alicia Miller, Elk Mound, Elk Mound Middle School
- 1st place - Alanna Naughton, Superior, Superior High School
- 2nd place - Amy Schilling, Fall Creek, Fall Creek High School
-- Barbro McGinn
The newsletter is issued electronically every other month.
Please send comments or questions to Barbro McGinn, editor.