Profession FAQ


The following are answers to some frequently asked questions received by the Department of Safety and Professional Services. These questions and answers are general in nature and are provided as a public service. Licensees and applicants with specific questions should refer to the Wisconsin statutes and administrative code provisions which govern their profession. In any instance in which an answer may differ from the provisions of the statutes and administrative code provisions, the latter will govern.

May a person take the accounting examination if he or she does not have a degree in accounting?

Generally, a person may not take the CPA examination unless the person has completed at least 150 semester hours of education with an accounting concentration at an accredited institution, and has received a bachelor's degree or higher with an accounting concentration from an institution. However, under its rules, the examining board may review individual educational experiences to determine whether a person has other qualifications that provide the reasonable equivalence of a resident major in accounting. Please see Wis. Stat. 442.04(4)(bm) and Ch Accy 7.035 , Wisc Admin Code for further information.