Profession FAQ


The following are answers to some frequently asked questions received by the Department of Safety and Professional Services. These questions and answers are general in nature and are provided as a public service. Licensees and applicants with specific questions should refer to the Wisconsin statutes and administrative code provisions which govern their profession. In any instance in which an answer may differ from the provisions of the statutes and administrative code provisions, the latter will govern.

Does a licensee need to obtain a new license if he or she changes the name of the accounting firm?
If the ownership remains the same, you do not need to obtain a new license. If the ownership has changed, then you must complete a new application for licensure. Under Wis. Stat. § 440.11, if you change your name or address you are required to notify the department of the name or address within 30 days of the change in writing.